b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 1:2

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Gen 1:2
  • Date: Sat, 05 Jun 2004 10:11:44 -0500

Dora:

You need to get out of your mind that it refers to flight. Then it makes
sense in its contexts. The eagle (and some other mother birds too for that
matter) settles down on its nest on its chicks when they are small. In the
context of a depressed person (as Jeremiah indicates he was), his limbs
(bones) are settled down and remain still because the depressed person lacks
the energy to move them. Same action. Then in Genesis 1:2 we have God‘s
Spirit settling down and resting on the face of the waters. Same action. As
far as I can tell, we don‘t have a term in English that exactly corrosponds
to the Hebrew RXP, but a workable translation for all three uses would be
”rest“.

Karl W. Randolph.