b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: VC <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 06:30:03 -0700

On 06/06/2004 02:38, VC wrote:

Since the difference between the ancient and modern Hebrew is relatively
minor, and could be covered in a month or so, which is not a major term for
people devoting their life time to Hebrew studies, may I suggest that this
negligence to the modern Hebrew has doctrinal roots?

I would suggest that the roots of this are historical rather than doctrinal. Traditional western study of biblical Hebrew developed in the early 19th century and has remained extremely conservative since then. Note for example that what are still considered the standard grammars, dictionaries etc are 19th century works, in some cases with revisions into the early 20th century. So the traditions of biblical Hebrew scholarship date back to a period when modern Hebrew was at most a twinkle in Eliezer ben Yehuda's eye. The thinking is still that if Gesenius ignored modern Hebrew (as he had to: he died before ben Yehuda was born!), then that is what good scholars should do.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)