b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 07:08:40 -0500

Dear Vadim,

>For me the text is paramount, theology be damned.<
This ideal is unrealizable when we have to choose the plausible meanings out
of several grammatically possible.

I have run into Jews who are just as tied to theological assumptions that
restrict their translations as the most unthinking Christian<
I was talking of a different thing. Jews assume an axiom A (TNK). Christians
assume axiom A (TNK) + axiom B (NT). Therefore, Christian approach requires
more assumptions, and is weaker; that doesn't mean that Jewish
interpretation is perfect.

HH: The fact that the Christian approach requires more assumptions does not necessarily make it weaker. The most simple idea is not always correct. It may overlook some important fact. The claim of Christianity is that God was giving new revelation through Jesus Christ. The claim is that he was a prophet and in fact the Messiah prophesied in the OT. So the addition you speak of, "axiom B," could actually be more truth and so could help one to understand the other truth ("axiom A") better.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

Sincerely,

Vadim Cherny