b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "VC" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 16:12:26 +0300

Dear Yigal,

> from SOME Orthodox Jewish students and audiences: why should we care what
> gentile anti-semites think about OUR Tanakh?
While I wouldn't go to this extreme, they have a rationale. In any science,
that explanation is preferred, which requires less assumptions. Now,
Christian scholars introduce a major assumption in interpreting the Tanakh:
namely, that it could and even should be interpreted with a fringe sectarian
text, the NT, in mind. Since Jewish scholars don't require this assumption,
their opinions should be preferred.
This, of course, does not imply in any sense pushing someone out of this
field of scholarship, but rather inadmissibility of bringing a doctrine in
the field.

Best regards,

Vadim Cherny

http://www.haaretz.co.il/hasite/pages/ShArtPE.jhtml?itemNo=435092&contrassID