b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 00:40:11 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Uri Hurwitz" <uhurwitz AT yahoo.com>
To: "UUC" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>; <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Saturday, June 05, 2004 5:19 PM

> Yes, Vadim, unless they are Israeli scholars. Biblical study does not
require any knowledge of modern Hebrew. I don't believe Gesenius knew it,
nor for that matter Rashi or Ibn Ezra, or the translators of the LXX , nor
the commentators of the Dead Sea Scrolls.

That's no argument. Rashi and Ibn Ezra were able to read the Hebrew of their
day, which was far more "talmudic" than Modern Hebrew is, and were able to
respond to contemporary scholarship.

> Why someone would post an article here in Modern Heb., and one that has
absolutely nothing to do with biblical Heb., (it deals with suggested reform
of modern vowelling) -- is a mystery.

That's a different issue.

Yigal

> Uri
>
> UUC <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net> wrote:
> ???
> Is it normal for the scholars of ancient Hebrew to not be able to read
> Israeli newspaper?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Vadim Cherny
>

> > Is there a translation to either Biblical Hebrew or English for this
> article? I found it gibberish, in other words, a foreign language I can't
> understand.
> >
> > Karl W. Randolph.

NY

http://www.haaretz.co.il/hasite/pages/ShArtPE.jhtml?itemNo=435092&contrassID