b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "VC" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 13:02:26 +0300

Dear Karl,

>For me the text is paramount, theology be damned.<
This ideal is unrealizable when we have to choose the plausible meanings out
of several grammatically possible.

> I have run into Jews who are just as tied to theological assumptions that
restrict their translations as the most unthinking Christian<
I was talking of a different thing. Jews assume an axiom A (TNK). Christians
assume axiom A (TNK) + axiom B (NT). Therefore, Christian approach requires
more assumptions, and is weaker; that doesn't mean that Jewish
interpretation is perfect.

Sincerely,

Vadim Cherny

> Karl W. Randolph.