b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: "VC" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 16:59:35 +0200

When I was a grad student at Hebrew U in Jerusalem, our teachers told us,
only half in jest, that the most important Semitic language is German,
because you need it to study all the other Semitic languages.
On a more serious plane, anyone wishing to make a serious career in Biblical
Studies, must know how to read at least German, and for certain specialties
(Mari, Ugarit), also French. To this must be added Modern Hebrew, as much of
the serious research that goes on in Tanakh today goes on in Hebrew.
Until this very day, many, if not most biblical scholars are ignorant about
the ideas of yehezkel Kaufmann, because he wrote his magnum opus, A History
of Israelite Religion, in Hebrew. Moshe Greenberg's translation is only an
abridgement.
Other important Israeli scholars, whom you may have heard of because they
have either written studies in English or had their Hebrew studies
translated, are Moshe Weinfeld, Avi Hurvitz, Umberto Cassuto, Samuel E.
Loewenstamm, Alexander Rofe, Benjamin Mazar, Abraham Malamat, Emanuel Tov,
Sarah Japhet, Yairah Amit, Yair Zakovitch. I could go on and on. I won't
mention those Israeli scholars whose native language is English and in any
case find it easier to write in that obscure language.
And just imagine the large number of Israeli scholars who don't feel
comfortable writing in English, and so their scholarly work has appeared
only in Hebrew.
It thus transpires that Modern Hebrew is one of the most important languages
to know for anyone wishing to be a SERIOUS scholar of the Tanakh. Imagine
trying to be a art historian without knowledge of French or Italian. Well,
Hebrew is right up there with German, the most important Semitic language.
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren, Editor
Mo'ed - Annual for Jewish Studies
Center for Jewish Culture