b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] LORD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Polycarp66 AT aol.com
  • To: mattfeld12 AT charter.net, b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] LORD
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 10:51:27 EST

In a message dated 2/8/2003 10:48:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mattfeld12 AT charter.net writes:

> The Early Christians did NOT use the Hebrew Masoretic text they used the
> Greek Septuaginta. Now as we both know this Greek translation according the
> rules of translation that you have just expounded upon, is a "sorry"
> translation indeed ! Yet this "sorry" translation is the VERY corner stone
> of Early Christian belief.

Walter,

You are indisputably wrong here. The early church did use the LXX. But it
also used the MT (or should I say its precursor). You can find passages that
clearly come from the LXX and you can find passages clearly translated
directly from the Hebrew.

gfsomsel