b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] LORD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Walter R. Mattfeld" <mattfeld12 AT charter.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] LORD
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 11:13:40 -0500

gfsomsel wrote:

"You are indisputably wrong here. The early church did use the LXX. But it
also used the MT (or should I say its precursor). You can find passages
that clearly come from the LXX and you can find passages clearly translated
directly from the Hebrew."

You are CORRECT, there are passages that are very closely aligned with the
Pre-Massoretic text. But there are passages that aren't, its a "mix" isn't
it ? The numbers for the ages of the Patriarchs lives also differ don't they
? The time Israel spent in Egypt as slaves also differs doesn't it ?

I found all this exchange of ideas very stimulating as it addresses the
"hidden agendas" and "presuppositions" that Translators bring to a text,
whether deliberately or unintentionally. It should also serve as a warning
about one's thinking that their perspective on what the text is or isn't
saying is open to a variety of viewpoints. Who's to say which of the many
views expressed is the RIGHT ONE and that ALL OTHERS ARE WRONG ?

Regards to ALL- Walter