b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] LORD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Walter R. Mattfeld" <mattfeld12 AT charter.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] LORD
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 10:47:58 -0500

Dear Rolf,

Thankyou for your "take" or "spin" on how a translation "ought" to be from
the world of Professional Academia.

The Early Christians did NOT use the Hebrew Masoretic text they used the
Greek Septuaginta. Now as we both know this Greek translation according the
rules of translation that you have just expounded upon, is a "sorry"
translation indeed ! Yet this "sorry" translation is the VERY corner stone
of Early Christian belief.

Christians did not welcome Jerome's attempts to "correct" Christian
translations of Hebrew versions of Holy Writ, if I recall rightly.

So, according to you the Christians substituted Lord for Yahweh so that the
reference to Christ as Lord reinforced Christian teachings. I am amazed that
they simply didn't insert CHRIST into every OT mention of the word Yahweh or
Elohim, to align the texts with Christian doctrine.

Regards, Walter