b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] DSS, the brother of Goliath the Gittite, 2 Samuel 21:19

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] DSS, the brother of Goliath the Gittite, 2 Samuel 21:19
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 12:54:03 -0700

On Saturday 08 February 2003 05:56, Schmuel wrote:
> Shalom b-Hebrew
>
> >2 Samuel 21:19 (KJV)
> >And there was again a battle in Gob with the Philistines,
> >here Elhanan the son of Jaareoregim, a Bethlehemite,
> >slew the brother of Goliath the Gittite,
> >the staff of whose spear was like a weaver's beam."
>
> Schmuel
>
> >I'm told the Vulgate and the socalled LXX had "brother of", but haven't
> > checked that, while the Peshitta does not, it matches the MT.

LXX doesn't in the Samuel passage. it reads EPATAXEN...TON GOLIAQ...
Vulgate
likewise lacks it. It reads "percussit...Goliath..."

> Correction... this was in relationship to another verse.
> My understanding is that that there is no ancient manuscript evidence for
> "brother of" and since I posted this I have learned that the verse section
> is missing from the DSS manuscripts .... (perhaps too many coffee-stains
> :-) j/k).

Correct. 1Q7 stops at verse 18, though the extant part tends toward the
wording in Chronicles, so some speculation might be possible from that (but
speculation is all it would be). Coffee-stains? More likely too much bat
guano ;-)

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur