b-hebrew - : Re: [b-hebrew] LORD

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: furuli AT online.no
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: : Re: [b-hebrew] LORD
  • Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 21:12:55 +0100

Dear gfsomsel,

I disagree. I respect the right for those who believe in the trinity to use "the Lord" instead of a transcription of YHWH, and I respect the right of those whoh only would write "G-od" to do that. At the same time I respect the right of the readers of the Biblical text to read what the text really says. And the text of the Tanach uses YHWH as the proper name of God, and this should, in faithfulness to the text, be transcribed in English. In this way all parts would respect each other.

Best regards

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo