baslinux - Re: [BL] How to sys DOS on a laptop without floppy drive

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] How to sys DOS on a laptop without floppy drive
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 18:02:19 +0000 (UTC)

I might give up on Redhat and install SW4.0 via CD to the 128MB partition
and use that to dial and fetch dosemu from the web or another BL computer
(via plip if pcmcia still does not work, typing over Steven's send/receive
scripts, or pppd if I can figure it out and use minicom.)

I first tried DSL which had a PCI:Deive 00:12.1 not available because of resource conflicts, and I had to power off and on again.

Ubuntu needs 128MB RAM.

I installed Slackware 4.0 without X into 38MB of hda3, and stupidly set it up to need loadlin instead of lilo. Since I don't want to get into lilo right now, I tried chrooting to it from Redhat 7 but programs did not work right - they use different kernels and libraries and paths.
I rebooted from the SW40 setup disk and was able to chroot to SW40 on hard drive, and then copied over loadlin and vmlinuz to a BL2 directory on C:

I was able to do this because in the meantime my partner found a Toshiba laptop Win98 recovery disk with oformat.com on it, which formatted C: and put on the three system files, but it came with no editor (he used copy con as an editor). He needs a mode.com in order to transfer llpro over a transfer cable and figured out he can 'extract' it from a Win98 CAB file which we may do next so that we can move some DOS files and the RAMdisk BL2 and loop BL3 to hda1, and then BL2 to /hda3.

SW40 has plip.p and so does Redhat 7.0 (in /net not /misc).
I was able to set it up as in BL and I typed (with Joe) the receive script and then discovered I have not got the 'nc' (from busybox).

Is there some other program in SW I can substitute for nc at both ends, or at least at the receiving end? Or some other way to send files over a plip connection? Can I do http over it, for instance?

pcmcia in SW40 is already set up and it also tells me the sockets are empty.