baslinux - Re: [BL] How to sys DOS on a laptop without floppy drive

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] How to sys DOS on a laptop without floppy drive
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 21:21:28 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

Is there some other program in SW I can substitute for nc at
both ends, or at least at the receiving end?

Have you got a TCP/IP network going between the two machines?
If so, run httpd on BL3 and wget (or lynx) on Slackware.

I set up plip at both ends. ifconfig plip0 ...1. pointopoint .....2
and 2.... 1

Mini_httpd says it cannot establish a connection on the sending computer.
It worked at first, before I remembered to ifconfig and ping, but then would not work. Something about not finding a free address, I think it was.

BL3 won't boot on that computer, using the p1 kernel. It complains about loop. It used to work there. It never worked on the computer next to it, loop won't insmod. How would I go about using the BL3 busybox (with httpd) in BL2? Should I just overwrite the old one? I can try BL3 httpd on yet another computer if we move the laptop there.

I can ping from the sending to the receiving computer but not vice versa (I get timeouts). Does this mean the parport port is bad?

(I think ping was working before I tried to set up httpd but I may have been pinging myself by accident - will start over again some time).

The pcmcia slot does not appear to recognize the ethernet card, in Redhat or SW40. No cards found in either slot.

We will attempt to get vmode.com out of a Win98 CAB file on CD and use it to transfer llpro to the DOS partition to at least test the parport.

If that port does not work, we will try it via serial cable, llpro to transfer BL2 ramdisk with nc, and then slip.

I could also use SW40 minicom to download llpro at 14.4K, assuming the serial port or pcmcia modem can be made to work. If they don't, we don't want to take this computer on a trip anyway.

At least we have a working hard drive and a reliable boot.

In order to boot from DOS, can we remove lilo with fdisk /mbr (in linux)? I have set up loadlin for SW40 and can use it also for Redhat if I need Redhat again. Right now it keeps booting to Redhat. To access SW40 I have to boot from the CD (which takes 10-15 minutes to load, scratched) and then chroot to the hard drive (or boot with root=/dev/hda3 after the CD starts to boot). Chrooting from Redhat does not work properly because of different kernels.

Or some other way to send files over a plip connection?

ftp

I think I would need to get an ftp server on the sending computer first.

utelnetd seems to load. I don't know how to send files over telnet with minicom.

Can I do http over it, for instance?

Yes. Once you've got a TCP/IP network running (via PLIP)
you can run any server/client over it.

We found FreeDOS (nonbootable) on CD but the files are all in packages, not individual.