baslinux - Re: [BL] How to sys DOS on a laptop without floppy drive

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] How to sys DOS on a laptop without floppy drive
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:55:43 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005, sindi keesan wrote:

I will need file transfer with Redhat 7.0 to get dosemu on there
(in order to format hda1 so I can put on DOS and llpro).

I had the idea of using a nullmodem cable and setting up as dumb terminal but I think I need pppd, which Redhat lacks, and a terminal program.

pppd 38400 crtscts defaultroute
on both computers?

Redhat seems to concentrate on stuff like local networking and samba and I still have found no way to dial. Startx does not even work - it is pointed at some font directory that does not exist. To start X you need to change runlevel to 5 and reboot. I took off at least 50MB of locale, help files in various languages, and timezone info. With over 6MB of modules (joystick, radio) there is no plip or slip.

BL is much more carefully thought out and does more useful stuff in far less space.

I might give up on Redhat and install SW4.0 via CD to the 128MB partition and use that to dial and fetch dosemu from the web or another BL computer (via plip if pcmcia still does not work, typing over Steven's send/receive scripts, or pppd if I can figure it out and use minicom.)