baslinux - Re: [BL] How to sys DOS on a laptop without floppy drive

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] How to sys DOS on a laptop without floppy drive
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 22:39:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 3aoo-cvfd AT dea.spamcon.org wrote:

sindi keesan wrote:

I set up plip at both ends. ifconfig plip0 ...1. pointopoint .....2
and 2.... 1

Can you ping from both ends?

No, I can ping from the BL computer just fine, but the SW40 computer keeps timing out when I try to ping the other computer.

How would I go about using the BL3 busybox (with httpd) in BL2?

It's static. Just put it in /tmp and execute:
------------------
/tmp/busybox httpd
------------------
Remember to start it from the directory you want to serve.

I can ping from the sending to the receiving computer but not vice versa
(I get timeouts). Does this mean the parport port is bad?

It means something is bad. Forget about httpd (or any other server)
until you can ping from both ends.

We will attempt to use llpro via parport. And a parport zip drive. If both fail, the port is bad and I will need to try the serial port (modem or llpro or slip).

There is also a USB port and IR port which I would prefer not to get into, but we can test the USB in DOS once we get file transfer working.

There is some sort of ide0 error during linux boot but it proceeds past it every time. And the DSL CD-ROM crashes. I don't know if this is related or we were just given multiple problems.

I will write down all the error messages if I can't get anything working.

The pcmcia slot does not appear to recognize the ethernet card, in Redhat
or SW40. No cards found in either slot.

What does the following say:
cardmgr -o -v

If nothing is found (when card is in slot), you probably have
a hardware problem.

Without the -v it says there are no cards in either slot, Redhat or SW50. Same for cardctl status. I am not there now to try -v.

I am sure we have at least one hardware problem other than the missing floppy drive.