baslinux - Re: [BL] How to sys DOS on a laptop without floppy drive

  • From: Jonathan Stuart Lovelace <kingjon AT cyberspace.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] How to sys DOS on a laptop without floppy drive
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 19:09:25 -0400 (EDT)

> We got a Hitachi 133MHz laptop mechanically working. It has 16MB RAM, and
> Redhat 7.0, a CD-ROM drive but no floppy drive. It came with hda1 = OS/2
> hidden partition (40MB) , hda2 = linux ext2 (Redhat) (1.2GB) and hda3/5
> extended/swap (128MB, probably some default based on an expected 64MB
> RAM). USB port, serial and parallel ports.

> We have cameras that use all three of these and can also use the PCMCIA
> slot (with CF adaptor) for file transfers. We have a serial camera
> (Olympus) and a USB SM card, and a USB camera (HP) that works in DOS and
> has the CF adaptor for the CF card and a DOS parallel port reader.

> I have DOS and linux photopc (serial) and DOS USB drivers and BL pcmcia CF
> adaptor setup.

> I got Redhat to run in runlevel 2 instead of 5, and removed a lot of
> things from /etc/rc.d/init.d so they would not use up all the RAM.

> I made a 32MB swap file, which got a little use while in runlevel 5 before
> getting rid of all the running processes (sendmail, xfs, xterm, etc.). I
> now have about 11MB free RAM (despite four vts and gpm running).

> Cardmgr can't find the known good ethernet card so I hope to use a
> parallel transfer cable to put on:
> 1) 40MB of DOS with BL3 loop and a working cardmgr setup (I hope).
> 2) 128MB of ext2 with BL2 or BL3 (with netpbm and zgv for photo editing).

> Without a DOS boot floppy disk, how can I format the 40MB FAT16 partition
> that I made with Redhat fdisk and put system files on it?

> There is one partition type in Redhat fdisk called Partition Magic - can
> this somehow be used to format FAT16?

> I have no idea how to make a bootable DOS CD and neither of our
> CD-burners is currently cooperating - one does not like the recent
> package of blanks, and the other keeps making bad copies.

> A floppy drive for this computer would cost more than the computer is
> worth.

> Can linux format a DOS FAT16 partition somehow? Are the system files just
> hidden files that I can copy via linux?

(I replied offlist, but another idea has occurred to me. Redhat, at least, has
mtools, which includes mformat. That program makes a DOS partition; I don't
know if it can put the system files on.)

> keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org

kingjon AT cyberspace.org
|"No man in the world has more courage |
| than the man who can stop after |
| eating one peanut." |
| -- Channing Pollock |
|"Math is worse than peanuts." |