baslinux - Re: [BL] Compiler and source

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] Compiler and source
  • Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 01:34:33 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005, Jeffrey Valcher wrote:

Could you recommend a good compiler, library, etc. for bl3. The only
catch is that it has to fit on a floppy or multiple floppies since
that is the only point of access into my laptop.

Do you have a serial port on the laptop computer? We managed to make a serial transfer cable from two dead serial mice tails and can send you the wiring diagram. Then use some file transfer program, including the one that comes with BL, for a slow transfer. Or get/make parallel transfer cable. Or parallel port zip drive. Can you compile with BL3 on another computer, or with another linux (but 2.2.16 source code). If you have a PCMCIA slot you can get a cheap ethernet card at ebay.

I was also curious where the src for the 2.2.16 kernel is. I went to
Slackware's kernel archive but the 2.2.16 src there was by itself
bigger than a floppy. Or where is it in bl3 itself (seeing as how
it's not in /usr/src). Is one of the files in /lib/modules the
source?

BL3 (2MB download of the basics) does not include source code. The files in /lib/2.2.16/modules/misc are modules for kernel 2.2.16 (things you add later to use printer, modem, etc.).

Steven included with BL3 (or at least with BL2) a split program to split up large files into floppy sized files. For DOS. Is there something similar for linux?