baslinux - Re: [BL] How to sys DOS on a laptop without floppy drive

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] How to sys DOS on a laptop without floppy drive
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:30:25 +0000 (UTC)

We will be using either the serial port (the modem works there, tho I cannot access websites with links using known good DNS numbers, and I presume a serial transfer via pppd would also work, but be 2.5 hours to transfer 100MB), or parport zip disk to transfer BL2 to a 128MB partition on the laptop with dead PCMCIA and no plip and no floppy drive.

Someone said to format mke2fs /dev/sda4.
Can we format back to DOS after that with dosemu format?

Our parport CF reader works under FreeDOS but not dosemu.
Or Win98DOS, which is what we managed to put on there.

It does not work on another laptop with Freedos 'error initializing adaptor'. Instructions say to plug in a power cable from external keyboard port to the adaptor. Did this, tried again, and it reboots (this must reduce voltage). So not much point trying to find a way to get FreeDOS on this computer instead of Win98 DOS. But if we wanted, could we just copy over the system files (two of which are hidden) now that it was formatted with Win98 DOS? What does /sys actually do?

We would need a Freedos boot disk to change DOS, I think.
And a working CD burner. We still have one that works in DOS or with kernel 2.6 (Ubuntu?). Is this simple to learn?

My partner seems to have lost the USB cable to our camera but I can get a USB card reader for about $3 (less than a new cable, with tiny end).