baslinux - Re: [BL] How to sys DOS on a laptop without floppy drive

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] How to sys DOS on a laptop without floppy drive
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 01:15:00 +0000 (UTC)

We have officially given up trying to use the 133Mhz with bad PCMCIA, bad plip, not working with parport CF reader.

The 486 works with plip and the reader and PCMCIA and we don't care that there is no USB or CD-ROM drive or floppy drive butthere isstillone problem (in additionto the spacebar).

How can we type colon or semicolon in linux without using that key? In DOS I could type Fn-Alt-5 Fn-Alt-8 and get a colon. I can't type the script I needfor kermit.

And for some reason all of the pcmcia modems (14.4, 28.8, 2400) are recognized in here but whenI type ppp-on or eznet up 0 (with /dev/ttyS1 - the pcmcia modem) it just goes to the next prompt line. What am I doing wrong? I even tried 38400 insteadof 57600 port speed.

External modem on com1 works fine.

We have BL3 plus the later glibc from SW71 and can run all programs now. I put on netpbm and will add xv from SW71. Xsvga is working nicely thanks to David's help with the odd Chips video. It has rxvt, which I will need to change to xterm or figure out the rgb stuff as described just now by David. None of the programs in the menu will work - they all need rxvt to start except the menu changing program.