baslinux - Re: [BL] How to sys DOS on a laptop without floppy drive

  • From: sindi keesan <keesan AT sdf.lonestar.org>
  • To: baslinux AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [BL] How to sys DOS on a laptop without floppy drive
  • Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 02:50:24 +0000 (UTC)

Without a DOS boot floppy disk, how can I format the 40MB FAT16 partition
that I made with Redhat fdisk and put system files on it?

Can linux format a DOS FAT16 partition somehow? Are the system files just
hidden files that I can copy via linux?

Apparently the freedos FORMAT command will work under dosemu (according to the documentation). /s may put on the system files. Can I then simply copy the rest of the freedos programs from linux to DOS after mounting the DOS partition? Would I need to mount the DOS partition to format it?

I will need file transfer with Redhat 7.0 to get dosemu on there (David's static version). How does one set up TCP/IP dialing with Redhat so as to download from the internet? I could not find wvdial or pppd. I can retype Steven's send and receive scripts to use via parallel transfer cable. cardmgr won't find the ethernet card (device or resource busy if I type cardmgr -o). pcmcia was left running during startup but I obviously don't know how to use it in Redhat.

How could someone give away a laptop computer without its floppy drive???
We were given it third hand with broken hinges.