sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Results for Organization Policy vote

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Results for Organization Policy vote
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 19:20:28 -0700

> It's not that I disagree with sticking with the somewhat default
> naming scheme, but I don't feel it will produce any real confusion
> if a more themed alternative exists, no more than for example "council
> of elders" would do; useful to those in the know, irrelevant to those
> users who just use sourcemage.

The names and meanings of our grimoires is far more relavent to
both prospective users and regular users than what we call ourselves
internally (I dont think any of the leads plan on putting 'elder' on
their resume instead of 'lead'). When you browse for a distro which do
you think is more likely that you'll look at:

a) the project's internal organizational structure
b) the software and versions of that software the distro offers (gnome,
kde, etc.)

Changing the names of our branches *will* confuse users because themed
names are devoid of *any* universally derivable meaning. Just about
anyone familar with english could look at 'stable' and 'test' and have
a reasonable idea of how those two relate. They might now our exact
policy, but they can guess and most of the time they'll be right. Now,
how do 'earth' and 'water' relate? Are they related at all? What do they
mean?

This whole grimoire naming thing is a red-herring for some other problem.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |