sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Results for Organization Policy vote

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: avr AT gnulinux.nl (Andreas)
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Results for Organization Policy vote
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 21:21:33 +0200

> One reason for not applying the themes to our versions (Sorcery's test,
> stable, and devel branches and the devel, test, stable-rc, stable,
> z-rejected, and games grimoires) is because non-descriptive names are
> confusing. Take, for example, the following:
> Grimoires:
> terra
> agua
> air
> luna
> fuego
> apothecary
>
> Now, which do you think is which? I thought of them as:

I once pondered about how to make the grimoires more theme oriented as well.
And I came up with an alike scheme, so it is at least a little obvious
and descriptive.

I thought then the four elements as grimoires would make for a nice addition
to the theme

earth (solid, stable)
water (fleeting, test)
fire (destructive, devel)
air

(The spanisch names give it an extra edge though)

> apothecary = devel (drugs kill people, and devel kills machines)
> agua = test (water is fluid and often changing)
> terra = stable (the earth is very stable)
> luna = stable-rc (the moon is less stable than the earth, but orbits it)
> fuego = z-rejected (fiery and unstable)
> air = games (nothing of substance here, just fun! ;))
>
> Note I am not proposing these names, just trying to point out why I
> prefer the current naming scheme for our branches to picking arbitrary
> names.

So I don't think your proposal is completely arbitrary. Someone a little
versed in magic
can probably make them out. And other distros get away with really obscure
arbitrary names (like Sid, the kid that breaks toys), so probably sourcemage
can get away with it as well.

regards,
Andre