sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Results for Organization Policy vote

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Results for Organization Policy vote
  • Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 11:55:17 -0500

Andrew wrote:
>> Think of what a new user generally does: If he doesn't know what a
>> grimoire is
>> in the first place, he's prone to look it up. And when the document he's
>> reading clearly states what grimoire names such as "earth" and "water"
>> mean,
>> it's a no-brainer.
>
> Or he wont look it up at all. Which is probably more likely. Users have
> enough to figure out already...

I agree, it should be kept simple. I don't want to go read documentation
when I start farting with a linux distro. Simple things like cast,
dispel, sorcery, and gaze can be done in a quick blurb.

>> To put it short, in my opinion "stable & test" and "earth & water" are
>> equally
>> informative, but the latter example is much more SMGL'ish. We should go
>> for
>> that.
>
> I disagree. I have no idea what something named "earth" would refer to. I
> would have to find the page that explains it (I'd actually just move on
> to a distro a sensible naming scheme), or I'd look at the versions and
> try to figure it out from that.

I also disagree. "scribe add water" I'm getting the aqua grimoire! whee!

Not quite what I'm looking for. I want the stable grimoire, the stable
list of spells, not the water list of spells or the earthen list of
spells to cast.

> It only seems like it makes sense because we already know what it
> means. New users wont.

Agreed. I think we should not change those names.

- --
David Kowis

ISO Team Lead - www.sourcemage.org
Source Mage GNU/Linux

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to
find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein

- Arthur C. Clarke