sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Results for Organization Policy vote

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Andraž \"ruskie\" Levstik" <ruskie AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Results for Organization Policy vote
  • Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 19:54:35 +0200

David Kowis wrote :

> gpg: Signature made sob 06 maj 2006 18:55:17 CEST using RSA key ID 70EB739B
> gpg: Good signature from "David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>"
> gpg: There is no indication that the signature belongs to the
> owner.

> Primary key fingerprint: 98EC 7077 CB97 00A1 F2E7 3834 C9DF FAF4 70EB 739B
>

> Andrew wrote:
> >> Think of what a new user generally does: If he doesn't know what a
> >> grimoire
> is
> >> in the first place, he's prone to look it up. And when the document he's
> >> reading clearly states what grimoire names such as "earth" and "water"
> mean,
> >> it's a no-brainer.
> >
> > Or he wont look it up at all. Which is probably more likely. Users have
> > enough to figure out already...
>
> I agree, it should be kept simple. I don't want to go read documentation
> when I start farting with a linux distro. Simple things like cast,
> dispel, sorcery, and gaze can be done in a quick blurb.
>

> >> To put it short, in my opinion "stable & test" and "earth & water" are
> equally
> >> informative, but the latter example is much more SMGL'ish. We should go
> >> for
> >> that.
> >
> > I disagree. I have no idea what something named "earth" would refer to. I
> > would have to find the page that explains it (I'd actually just move on
> > to a distro a sensible naming scheme), or I'd look at the versions and
> > try to figure it out from that.
>
> I also disagree. "scribe add water" I'm getting the aqua grimoire! whee!
>
> Not quite what I'm looking for. I want the stable grimoire, the stable
> list of spells, not the water list of spells or the earthen list of
> spells to cast.
>
> > It only seems like it makes sense because we already know what it
> > means. New users wont.
>
> Agreed. I think we should not change those names.
>
> --
> David Kowis
>
> ISO Team Lead - www.sourcemage.org
> Source Mage GNU/Linux
>
> Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to
> find easier ways to do something.
> - Robert Heinlein
>
> Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
> - Arthur C. Clarke

I'm acctually looking for some sane naming scheme that would tie in
and have a similar meaning to devel, test, stable. Nothing as arbitrary
as earth etc....

If there are old/middle english words that mean similar stuff we could
use those...

--
Andraž "ruskie" Levstik
Geek/Hacker/Tinker

Hacker FAQ: http://www.plethora.net/%7eseebs/faqs/hacker.html

Key id = A7A9E461
Key fingerprint = 757E C16B F5B7 DC27 B003 CCED CF95 3A77 A7A9 E461