sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Results for Organization Policy vote

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Results for Organization Policy vote
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 13:10:56 -0700

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 11:06:32PM +0300, Juuso Alasuutari wrote:
> (I'm sorry that I'm probably breaking the thread by copying & pasting in a
> diff mail client. KMail has issues.)
>
> On Friday 05 May 2006 22:21, Andreas wrote:
>
> > I once pondered about how to make the grimoires more theme oriented as
> > well. And I came up with an alike scheme, so it is at least a little
> > obvious and descriptive.
> >
> > I thought then the four elements as grimoires would make for a nice
> > addition to the theme
> >
> >       earth (solid, stable)
> >       water (fleeting, test)
> >       fire  (destructive, devel)
> >       air
> >

> I actually like these very much. They're classical, universal, and in my
> opinion, easy to grasp. They even have more meaning to them than most
> trivial
> names.
>
> Think of what a new user generally does: If he doesn't know what a grimoire
> is
> in the first place, he's prone to look it up. And when the document he's
> reading clearly states what grimoire names such as "earth" and "water"
> mean,
> it's a no-brainer.

Or he wont look it up at all. Which is probably more likely. Users have
enough to figure out already...

> To put it short, in my opinion "stable & test" and "earth & water" are
> equally
> informative, but the latter example is much more SMGL'ish. We should go for
> that.

I disagree. I have no idea what something named "earth" would refer to. I
would have to find the page that explains it (I'd actually just move on
to a distro a sensible naming scheme), or I'd look at the versions and
try to figure it out from that.

It only seems like it makes sense because we already know what it
means. New users wont.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |