sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Results for Organization Policy vote

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Stephan Erb <steve-e AT h3c.de>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Results for Organization Policy vote
  • Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 09:40:37 +0200

>>> earth (solid, stable)
>>> water (fleeting, test)
>>> fire (destructive, devel)
>>> air
>>>

> Or he wont look it up at all. Which is probably more likely. Users have
> enough to figure out already...
>
> I disagree. I have no idea what something named "earth" would refer to. I
> would have to find the page that explains it (I'd actually just move on
> to a distro a sensible naming scheme), or I'd look at the versions and
> try to figure it out from that.
>
> It only seems like it makes sense because we already know what it
> means. New users wont.

Switching to sourcemage it was a kind of difficult to find out which
tool to use for what. Using debian before I was used to only one tool -
aptitude - but now there were several.

spells: Just a synonym for packet. Not hard to find out and easy to
remember.

cleanse: A tool to cleanup sourcemage.

cast: Installing spells.

dispel: Removing spells

gaze: Confused me very much in the beginning. I thought that it was a
word of fiction and not a word for "looking". Now I know what to use it
for but I still feel uncomfortable with it. Looking for orphaned spells
or "alien" files? Isn't that a cleanup (<- cleanse). Or setting a spell
hold with sorcery but checking which spells are hold with gaze...

Sorcery: What is sorcery? The word doesn't give any hint to its function
and there are also some redundant features in it (...to confuse the
user...). It would take to long now to tell you how unsatisfied I am
with it. Maybe I'll report about it later.

What I would like to express is just that simple names aren't a problem
for a new user. It is harder to find out which utility is used for what
than learning a few simple words.
I'd like to have renamed branches because it creates something like an
"overall sourcemage ambient"
On the website you could declare everything with both names like "SID
(unstable)". That would be clear for everyone.

steve