sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] Results for Organization Policy vote

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jaka Kranjc <lynx AT mages.ath.cx>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] Results for Organization Policy vote
  • Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 13:46:07 +0200

On Friday 05 May 2006 06:06, Eric Sandall wrote:
> One reason for not applying the themes to our versions (Sorcery's test,
> stable, and devel branches and the devel, test, stable-rc, stable,
> z-rejected, and games grimoires) is because non-descriptive names are
> confusing.

How about descriptive names then? They can still be fantasy related or at
least less dull.

(devel) := wild
test := modern
stable-rc := ancient
stable := prehistoric
z-rejected := necromantic
games := bardic

Just a bad example.

> Take, for example, the following:
> Grimoires:
> terra
> agua
> air
> luna
> fuego
> apothecary
>
> Now, which do you think is which? I thought of them as:
> apothecary = devel (drugs kill people, and devel kills machines)
> agua = test (water is fluid and often changing)
> terra = stable (the earth is very stable)
> luna = stable-rc (the moon is less stable than the earth, but orbits it)
> fuego = z-rejected (fiery and unstable)
> air = games (nothing of substance here, just fun! ;))
>
> Note I am not proposing these names, just trying to point out why I
> prefer the current naming scheme for our branches to picking arbitrary
> names.
Your example is pretty good; I'd use fuego for devel and something bad for
z-rejected (misery, death, plague).

--
We cannot command nature except by obeying her. --Sir Francis Bacon