sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Karsten Behrmann <BearPerson AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 16:13:22 +0100

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:51:59 -0600, David Kowis wrote:
> Before this gets too much into harping on individual SCM's I'm going to
> point out that BearPerson and I had a lengthy discussion over SVN vs
> Bazaar-NG. We basically determined that any SCM can be made to do the
> things we wanted to do.

Basically, I'd say that any SCM can somehow do what we need. Some might be
a better fit than others for some part of smgl. I think that SVN's lack
of integration history is a large problem in grimoire work, but rather
insignificant in cauldron, where we usually have one-way branches anyway.

On the other hand, I'd like cauldron to use a SCM that allows me any sane
characters in filenames (I can't put etc/init.d/runlevels/%DEV/tmpfs.sh
directly into perforce right now) and that allows to add symlinks as such.

> [snip]
> My point here is, any SCM can be made to do what we want it to do. The
> focus will be what does it the easiest, fastest, lowest learning curve,
> and is the most stable. So, I'm going to recommend against the simple
> "yeah <insert scm here> does that" and instead ask that it's said how
> it's done and what steps are involved.

I'd say we should check what steps the teams each need to do, and how easy
each SCM makes those changes.
The question is, do we want all teams to use the same SCM
(and possibly the same repository)? Doing so would allow you
to seamlessly switch over from doing stuff on one team to another.
Integrations between teams seems a silly idea to me though. On the other
hand, if each team got to pick its favorite SCM they might each end up with
something that was a bit closer to their specific needs.
I would personally rather use a SCM fit to cauldron's needs than to the
grimoire's, since our needs are probably rather different.

Basically, we want the SCM that is the least in our way. It can be in our
way by missing some features, by not being designed to do something we
need to do often, or for a multitude of other reasons.

So Far,
Karsten

--
Karsten Behrmann | Source Mage GNU/Linux developer, ISO team
BearPerson AT gmx.net | http://www.sourcemage.org