sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement was: Re: Grimoire Team Lead vote

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: "Sergey A. Lipnevich" <sergey AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: "sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement was: Re: Grimoire Team Lead vote
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 11:25:09 -0500

Arwed von Merkatz wrote:
On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 12:57:15PM +0100, Pieter Lenaerts wrote:
only point against subversion I can think of right now:

subversion does not remember history across branches:
1..N changes to devel -> merge to test -> leaves only the merge in
test's history. imo this is not a problem: we keep our own changelogs in
HISTORY, of which we will find the diffs in the logs of devel branch.

That's really not the problem. The problem is that, once you do more
changes to devel and try to merge them, you get conflicts because
subversion forgot that you already merged the old ones. This is the
single biggest problem subversion has in my opinion (not only for
grimoire work).

There is a band-aid now, svnmerge.py:
http://svn.collab.net/viewvc/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/svnmerge.py?view=markup
http://svn.collab.net/viewvc/svn/trunk/contrib/client-side/svnmerge.README?view=markup

Also, this article is quite interesting:
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.devel/74355

I know I volunteered some time ago to do a field-test of Subversion, but I never got around to actually doing it. Besides, I use Subversion at work a lot, so I realized that using Perforce or anything else (bazaar-ng looks very compelling after reading the above article) here is an interesting thing for me personally :-).

Sergey.