sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: neuron <vlmarek AT volny.cz>
  • To: Maurizio Boriani <baux AT sourcemage.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 16:51:04 +0100

Sorry to pop in the middle of discussion.

[...]
> if SCM should be changed (from p4 to something else) should be a
> choice done by vote from sourcemage developers (all teams, from
> cauldron to grimoire, sorrcery etc...)

I don't think it's a good idea. We might want to vote for random fancy
stuff, but the question for me is "are we able to maintain SCM" at the
same level as we do now ? I mean we do have p4 developer (correct me if
I'm wrong) taking care of it. If we will find such a person(s) who would
be able to maintain it, they might vote.

I mean, the scm will be imo always centralized. Even if we use XXX
(replace by your favorite truly de-centralized tool), where are we
building the tarballs from ? Where is the place which will not let
everyone to commit anywhere (we don't want to have random users commit
into sorcery - as opposite to help from the real users which we want).

My 2hal

--
neuron