sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement was: Re: Grimoire Team Lead vote

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Pieter Lenaerts <e-type AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: "sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement was: Re: Grimoire Team Lead vote
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:57:15 +0100

I'd like to volounteer to advocate for subversion for the grimoire. I
don't know how other teams work so I don't know if they would like a
distributed system, but for our grimoire, distributed == HELL (we could
just set up a server as central point, ending us up with a centralized
system anyway)
If other teams need distributed, I'm sure they can find one to their
liking.

only point against subversion I can think of right now:

subversion does not remember history across branches:
1..N changes to devel -> merge to test -> leaves only the merge in
test's history. imo this is not a problem: we keep our own changelogs in
HISTORY, of which we will find the diffs in the logs of devel branch.

I thought I had more issues, but I don't atm (the ones I had were plain
wrong). I'm sure, dear sm-discuss, that you know stuff :)

please fire away with good arguments, so no "svn is crap", but "svn is
crap because..." :)

anyone who likes can play around in my svn sandbox. just ask me for a
login and I will provide you one asap (not open to the world, sorry, my
uni work is on it too)

--
Pieter Lenaerts
Source Mage GNU/Linux

http://www.sourcemage.org
"Linux so advanced it may well be magic"