sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:51:59 -0600

Maurizio Boriani wrote:
> On 2006-03-16 15:17:08 +0100 Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
> wrote:
>
>>> I think this might be of public interest and worth
>>> to put it on the list.
>> Here's my incomplete list:
>> - support for repeated merges between branches (devel->test, ...)
>
> gnuarch does :)

Before this gets too much into harping on individual SCM's I'm going to
point out that BearPerson and I had a lengthy discussion over SVN vs
Bazaar-NG. We basically determined that any SCM can be made to do the
things we wanted to do. He had a plan laid out for managing merges and
changes in svn, even though it doesn't really do a good job of merging.
But since branches are cheap in svn, he would create a branch for every
bugfix and then create another branch after the bugfix, then the
differences between those two branches is the changeset that is the bug.
That changeset could then be applied to any other point in the tree.

My point here is, any SCM can be made to do what we want it to do. The
focus will be what does it the easiest, fastest, lowest learning curve,
and is the most stable. So, I'm going to recommend against the simple
"yeah <insert scm here> does that" and instead ask that it's said how
it's done and what steps are involved.

In the svn vs bzr example, there's like 3 or 4 steps to doing a
changeset in svn, but in bzr it's only one or two.

My two cents.

- --
David Kowis

ISO Team Lead - www.sourcemage.org
Source Mage GNU/Linux

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to
find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein

- Arthur C. Clarke