sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 15:17:08 +0100

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 03:10:17PM +0100, Robert Figura wrote:
> Am Wednesday 15 March 2006 17:25 schrieb Sergey A. Lipnevich:
>
> > Also, this article is quite interesting:
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.version-control.subversion.devel/74355
>
> Quite interesting, indeed. I'd like to second the problem of potential
> developers jumping off the train because of p4. Also i see a lot of gain in
> using a distributed scm.
>
> The main question to me remains what are the requirements to a scm to be
> used on grimoires. I personally have switched to mercurial after using cvs
> for ten years. I like it because it is small (spell: lacks features). Also
> because it's implementation seems quite clean to me and also is small.
>
> I can imagine that the lack of features may be a problem but i can't reach
> the argument. I'd be happy if someone could point out what features are
> used for what purposes. I think this might be of public interest and worth
> to put it on the list.

Here's my incomplete list:
- support for repeated merges between branches (devel->test, ...)
- support for cherrypicking changes on merge, this includes in-file
cherry picking (for e.g. ChangeLog) and in-tree cherry picking
(integrating one spell from test to stable-rc)
- support for partial submits (not submitting all changes one has in the
local workspace)
- support for file and directory renames
- directory based access control
- for distributed systems: support for push-based central repository,
i.e. devs push their changes from their local repos to the central one
- scalability: our repository isn't exactly small, especially when it
comes to directories; we have >76000 changes now, roughly 40 active
user accounts accessing it
- stability: we don't want major outages in the server, and the clients
shouldn't crash too often either

http://www.sourcemage.org