sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement was: Re: Grimoire Team Lead vote

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
  • To: "sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org" <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement was: Re: Grimoire Team Lead vote
  • Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:23:37 +0100

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 12:57:15PM +0100, Pieter Lenaerts wrote:
> I'd like to volounteer to advocate for subversion for the grimoire. I
> don't know how other teams work so I don't know if they would like a
> distributed system, but for our grimoire, distributed == HELL (we could
> just set up a server as central point, ending us up with a centralized
> system anyway)
> If other teams need distributed, I'm sure they can find one to their
> liking.
>
> only point against subversion I can think of right now:
>
> subversion does not remember history across branches:
> 1..N changes to devel -> merge to test -> leaves only the merge in
> test's history. imo this is not a problem: we keep our own changelogs in
> HISTORY, of which we will find the diffs in the logs of devel branch.

That's really not the problem. The problem is that, once you do more
changes to devel and try to merge them, you get conflicts because
subversion forgot that you already merged the old ones. This is the
single biggest problem subversion has in my opinion (not only for
grimoire work).
The last time I tried to use several systems to do grimoire work, the
only one that did everything was svk, but that had massive stability
problems back then, which probably changed by now, I know at least
ruskie uses it for his own grimoires.