sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Maurizio Boriani <baux AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 15:42:52 +0100

On 2006-03-16 15:17:08 +0100 Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net> wrote:

I think this might be of public interest and worth to put it on the list.

Here's my incomplete list:
- support for repeated merges between branches (devel->test, ...)

gnuarch does :)

- support for cherrypicking changes on merge, this includes in-file
cherry picking (for e.g. ChangeLog) and in-tree cherry picking
(integrating one spell from test to stable-rc)

likewise

- support for partial submits (not submitting all changes one has in the
local workspace)

likewise

- support for file and directory renames

likewise

- directory based access control

what's this mean?

- for distributed systems: support for push-based central repository,
i.e. devs push their changes from their local repos to the central one

likewise

- scalability: our repository isn't exactly small, especially when it
comes to directories; we have >76000 changes now, roughly 40 active
user accounts accessing it

likewise (sealing old archive and starting new one as new tagged revision)

- stability: we don't want major outages in the server, and the clients
shouldn't crash too often either

never see a gnuarch seg fault. For server side (central repo) it could use
ftp server or dav server or scp and I think something else but don't remember
now :)

Also using arch (and having central repo or a mirror one) is possible for users
to get grimoire partial changes (latest patches as are called in gnuarch) instead
of all grimoire every update.

bye

P.S. I vote for arch :)

--