sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Andrew <afrayedknot AT thefrayedknot.armory.com>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] SCM perforce replacement
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 08:17:57 -0800

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 03:42:52PM +0100, Maurizio Boriani wrote:
> On 2006-03-16 15:17:08 +0100 Arwed von Merkatz <v.merkatz AT gmx.net>
> wrote:
>
> >> I think this might be of public interest and worth
> >> to put it on the list.
> >
> > Here's my incomplete list:
> > - support for repeated merges between branches (devel->test, ...)
>
> gnuarch does :)

Most distributes scms do. Its easier to list the exceptions.

> > - support for cherrypicking changes on merge, this includes in-file
> > cherry picking (for e.g. ChangeLog) and in-tree cherry picking
> > (integrating one spell from test to stable-rc)
>
> likewise

sort of, you can replay a single change as an atomic element, you can
then go and manually adjust stuff, but arch wont re-merge changes to files
you reverted, unlike perforce which remembers the ancestry for each file.

> > - support for partial submits (not submitting all changes one has in
> > the
> > local workspace)
>
> likewise

gnu-arch doesnt, unless thats a *very* new feature. Historically this
was something that gnu-arch wouldn't *ever* do.
(arx, a fork of gnu-arch does however, as does bazaar)

> never see a gnuarch seg fault. For server side (central repo) it could
I have.

> use
> ftp server or dav server or scp and I think something else but don't
> remember
> now :)

This is true of most all distributed scms.

> Also using arch (and having central repo or a mirror one) is possible
> for users
> to get grimoire partial changes (latest patches as are called in
> gnuarch) instead
> of all grimoire every update.

This is true of most all scms.

I dont think its productive to point out things that nearly all scms
have in common.

Perhaps I'll go dig up archive links to the past discussions on scms,
since this is basically a re-hash of those conversations. I think theres
better things to do at the moment than re-re-hash the state of every SCM.

-Andrew

| Andrew D. Stitt | acedit at armory.com | astitt at sourcemage.org |
| irc: afrayedknot | Sorcery Team Lead | ftp://t.armory.com/ |
| 1024D/D39B096C | 76E4 728A 04EE 62B2 A09A 96D7 4D9E 239B D39B 096C |