sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] voting process

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: David Kowis <dkowis AT shlrm.org>
  • To: sm-discuss <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] voting process
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:08:27 -0600

Sergey A. Lipnevich wrote:
> David Kowis wrote:
>
>> Okay, so they don't tell the entire list that their vote was
>> misrepresented. Just the vote collector. Problem solved.
>>

> Really? Remember: vote collector is not trusted, that's why the audit is
> asked for in the first place. I don't think it's a solution, sorry.

The vote collector is trusted to fix the vote, and then republish the
results. The results are a list
1: y
2: n
3: y
etc...

3 emails the collector, with, "Hey, I voted n!"

collector fixes 3 and republishes the list.
1:y
2:n
3:n
etc.

I don't see how this isn't a solution...
No one knows who's vote is whos, with the exception of the collector.
There's still an audit so that the individual voters can be sure that
their vote was counted correctly, and that's what this is trying to
accomplish.

ps: oops only sent this to sergey, not the list also... my bad :)

- - --
David Kowis

ISO Team Lead - www.sourcemage.org
Source Mage GNU/Linux

Progress isn't made by early risers. It's made by lazy men trying to
find easier ways to do something.
- Robert Heinlein

- Arthur C. Clarke