sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New sections [Was: New archive and perl-cpan maintainer]

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New sections [Was: New archive and perl-cpan maintainer]
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:29:11 -0600

On Feb 22, Arwed von Merkatz [v.merkatz AT gmx.net] wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2005 at 11:56:44AM -0600, Jeremy Blosser wrote:
> > I actually started yesterday on a full list of new sections out of
> > utils+shell-term-fm. I think I'm 2/3 of the way there.
>
> Great, thanks :)
>
> > On Feb 22, Eric Sandall [eric AT sandall.us] wrote:
> > > Looks fine to me, though utils looks like it'll still be a catch-all and
> > > rather large while some of the sections (admintools, don't have spaces
> > > in
> > > section names ;)) will be fairly small. Do we have problems with small
> > > sections? Are there any other items we can/will add to the admintools
> > > section?
>
> I think we can live with many small sections. As long as they stay small
> one guru can easily maintain several of them, if they get bigger it can
> be split among several gurus.
> With smaller sections it would probably also be easier to find people
> willing to maintain a section. Currently some sections like libs and
> utils are so big they scare away any possibly volunteers ;)

Well, I'm glad you think that way, because a lot of smaller sections is
what I came up with. :-) I agree with you, though, more sections means
easier maintenance.

The first draft of what I'd suggest is attached. This is just me running
through the "utils" and "shell-term-fm" sections (in test) and splitting
them up into the categories that seemed to make sense. I didn't worry
about sections being too small to make this list, so maybe we'll want to
recombine some of them. This hopefully gives us a place to start talking,
though.

Some notes:
- Test currently is broken down into 58 sections, with the following size
breakdown:
1-25 spells: 16 sections
26-50 spells: 18 sections <- shell-term-fm now
51-75 spells: 9 sections
76-100 spells: 5 sections
101-200 spells: 9 sections <- utils now
over 200 spells: 1 section

The proposed would give us a total of 58-2+17=73 sections, with the new
sections having the following initial sizes: 2, 4, 4, 4, 5, 7, 7, 7, 7,
9, 9, 11, 14, 16, 18, 19, 24. So, they still aren't all *that* small,
relatively speaking.

- I put a lot of hyphenated names in; to me, this seems a good way to keep
similar sections grouped together while still keeping them separate. In
some cases I put [] aren't parts of section names that could be
"optional" if people hate the hyphens. Whatever, if you don't like the
names suggest other ones.

- There's no "catch-all" left in this version. The closest to a catch-all
is "shell-apps", but I think even this is clear enough. If we get a lot
of things in there over time we can split them out based on the kind of
function they provide, just like we already have mail clients/etc. that
would also fit as "shell-apps".

- On this list, I'd definitely be interested in maintaining
shell-{script,admin}-utils. I would also be interested in considering
system-{cron,syslog}, shells, and/or [x11-]terms, more or less in that
order. Thomas, let us know what you think of that system-auth section,
hopefully it's ok to add some things with PAM. Anyone else who would be
immediately interested in any of these if this is how they were
organized? Knowing that will help a lot in knowing if this is the way to
go.

Comments/suggestions/name changes/hate mail welcome.
Things I wasn't sure about from their description:

-doodle
-rsbep
(Both perhaps go in "shell-script-utils", but there may be a more appropriate
place.)

=========================

New sections for the things currently in "utils" and "shell-term-fm":

boot: bootloaders and boot disk/image configurators
-grub*
-lilo*
-mknbi
-syslinux
-yard
*These are in "disk" now, which doesn't make a lot of sense IMO; the others
were in "utils", so I'm suggesting a new "boot" section for all them.
Otherwise they all belong in "disk".

shells: login shells and their base configs
-bash
-bash-completion
-bashish
-pdksh
-sash
-tcsh
-zsh

shell-[script-]utils: things which are intended to be used in pipelines/shell
scripts
-busybox
-coreutils
-dialog
-file
-file-rename-utils
-fileutils
-findutils
-grep
-lockexec
-mktemp
-rl
-rlwrap
-sh-utils
-sloth
-textutils
-watchfile

[shell-]admin-utils: additional interactive/filtering tools which system
administrators and shell users use in daily administration and operation
-acctail
-acoc
-aide
-ascii
-atop
-atsar
-ccze
-chkrootkit
-cwrapper
-dstat
-htop
-less
-lsof
-ltt
-most
-procinfo
-procps
-psmisc
-sudo
-time
-tree
-util-linux
-vlock
-which

shell-apps: things which run in a shell and are unrelated to generic scripts
and systems administration (productivity apps, niche shell utils, etc.)
-barcode
-boxes
-devtodo
-dvorakng
-figlet
-lxsplit
-gcal
-gnuplot
-hd2u
-hnb
-ledger
-nilsimsa
-remind
-upn

shell-eyecandy: things which do nothing useful, but display something pretty
on
the console
-cmatrix
-linux_logo
These can probably go in "shell-apps" but they do something fundamentally
different, if we don't mind a section with only 2 apps (for now).

console: things which modify/configure the behaviour of the console
-855resolution
-console-data
-console-tools
-fbset
-screen*
-splitvt*
-zhcon
*These are debatable; maybe they should be in "shell-admin-utils", but they
are
mostly meant to modify the display and then just be there, they aren't really
"interactive".

hardware-[base-]utils: things which allow querying/configuring/tuning bios and
base system hardware
-athcool
-dmidecode
-hddtemp
-hwdata
-lshw
-modutils
-pciutils
-powertweak
-setserial
-x86info
-xmbmon

[hardware-]peripheral-utils: things which allow querying/configuring/using
various peripherals
-bluez-utils
-bottlerocket
-dmx4linux
-heyu
-heyu2
-lcdproc
-usbutils

hardware-test: things which allow base system hardware testing/benchmarking
-bonnie++
-memtest86
-nbench-byte
-smartmontools

emulators: system emulators
-bochs
-bochs-snapshot
-hercules
-xen

[x11-]terms: terminal emulators
-aterm
-mrxvt
-rxvt
-rxvt-unicode
-wterm
-x3270
-multi-aterm
-multi-gnome-terminal
-powershell

fm: file managers
-claw
-fm
-mc
-dfm
-emelfm
-emelfm2
-endeavour2
-gentoo
-gnome-commander
-kcommander3
-krusader
-rox
-viewglob
-worker
-xfe
-xfm
-xfsm
-xnc

system: core system infrastructure (system daemons, or base config files
expected to just be there by many parts of a running system); more of these
are
split out below for things that belong in this category but have a lot of
similar spells already
-acpid
-at
-daemon
-dbus*
-fam
-gamin
-gpm
-hal
-installwatch
-kbd
-kudzu
-ntp
-qlogin
-rdate
-shared-mime-info
-supervise-scripts
-sysvinit
-uptimed
-watchdog
*dbus is the DCOP system, which does the same thing ORBit does; ORBit is in
"gnome-libs" right now but has no GNOME dependencies; I suggest moving ORBit
this "system" section as well (assuming it is created). If not, dbus should
go
to "kde" for consistency.

system-auth: things related to system authentication and authorization (pam,
shadow, etc.)
-Linux-PAM
-linux-pam
-linux-pam-headers
-nss_ldap
-pam_chroot
-pam_ldap
-pam_mysql
-pam_passwdqc
-shadow

system-cron: cron daemons and configs
-cron-smgl
-fcron
-fcrontabs
-hc-cron
-hc-crontabs
-mcron
-run-parts

system-syslog: sysloggers and log rotaters
-metalog
-rottlog
-sysklogd
-syslog-ng

=========================

Things currently in "utils" which belong in other existing sections, based on
their descriptions:

archive
-stow*
*This is debatable, but this is where alien and rpm are now. Do we need some
kind of "package-managers" section?

database
-cdb

devel
-autogen
-compilercache
-xdelta*
*Debatable, but this is where diffutils is.

ftp
-unison*
*Debatable, but this is where rsync is.

graphics
-tgif

smgl
-default-profile
-useful-profile

x11*
-clarence
-desktop-file-utils+
-ghasher
-gps
-hot-babe
-pyxdg+
-rdesktop
-usbview
*As far as I can tell the "x11" section is the catchall for X apps. If we
create the suggested "shell-utils", "shell-apps", etc. sections, I'd suggest
reworking this section as well for "x11-utils", "x11-apps", etc.
+These two aren't graphical themselves but pertain to graphical desktop setup,
perhaps we need a "desktop" or "x11-desktop" section?

z-?
-nvparse*
*License is "UNKNOWN".