sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New archive and perl-cpan maintainer

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • To: Discuss SM <sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New archive and perl-cpan maintainer
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 12:19:55 -0600

On Feb 17, Thomas Houssin [thomas.houssin AT gmail.com] wrote:
> Arwed von Merkatz wrote:
> <snip>
> >I'm always for smaller sections, so if you can give me a logical
> >grouping that splits utils into seperate sections we can do that.
> >Utils is one of those 'drop everything in here' sections like libs, so
> >splitting it into more useful sections would definitely be nice.
> >

> What about creating these two sections : pam and admin-tools (or
> something like that). We could have all linux-pam, linux-pam-headers and
> pam_* spells in pam ; in admin-tools, things like system-loogers,
> installwatch, sudo...
> (by the way, about pam, there's a lot af pam plugins we could have
> spells for, on http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/libs/pam/modules.html or
> on freshmeat ;) )

The ones that first came to mind for me were:

1) One for all the standard shell utils (coreutils, file, grep/sed/gawk
(gawk is in editors now?), less, rl, which, mktemp, etc.). Now that
file/sh/findutils are all in coreutils you could just call this section
shellutils probably.

2) One for all the things in there that have an init file (at, crons,
syslogs, etc.).

3) There are lots of other obvious groups of 3 or 5 spells, but maybe some
of these should just be in other sections (shouldn't ntp be in net?).

Pam sounds like a good section too; you sound like you have interest in it.
Sounds good to me, I don't have much interest in pam. :) I'm mostly
interested in the ones I listed as 1 and 2 above.