sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New sections [Was: New archive and perl-cpan maintainer]

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz>
  • To: Jeremy Blosser <jblosser-smgl AT firinn.org>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New sections [Was: New archive and perl-cpan maintainer]
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:25:48 +1300

Jeremy Blosser wrote:
On Feb 24, Duane Malcolm [d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz] wrote:

I was thinking the categories that Freshmeat or Sourceforge might help or be a guide. I'm thinking of using their categories for the science section. I noticed they don't have a usually separate libraries into a separate category. I also noticed a program can be part of many sections, or in their terms "topics". Would it be reasonable to have a flag in the DETAILS file called "TOPIC" or "CATEGORY". Just thinking out loud.

Can you describe what problem this would solve? It seems to me that it
would mostly make moving spells more difficult. Or were you thinking of
some kind of one-to-many relationship here?
An example a few months ago was the spell "celestia", it actually existed in the science section in the test grimoire and the edutainment section in the games grimoire. They are both valid sections for the spell. In the end we decided it's more suitable in the science section. I checked on Sourceforge and it's topics were "Education, Games/Entertainment, 3D Rendering, Astronomy". If the DETAILS file had a "CATEGORY=Education, Games/Entertainment, 3D Rendering, Astronomy" then it means it can be stored and maintained by the science section but users can search by category and find it whether they are wanting astronomy spells or educational spells for children. It would be similar in some ways to the short description.

A better example is the section "gnome2-apps" store gnome applications however, the section name doesn't describe what the spell does, gedit is an editor, gthumb is a image viewer and gnumeric is a great spreadsheet, however someone new to linux cannot distingush this from the section name. A category flag will solve this. And the directory structure can become transparent to the user and becomes a storage method for maintainers.

gthumb Sourceforge Topic: Gnome, Viewer
gedit Sourceforge Topic: Gnome, Text Editors

So in summary it solves the problem of spells belonging to multiple section but exist in one.

Cheers, Duane