sm-discuss - Re: [SM-Discuss] New sections [Was: New archive and perl-cpan maintainer]

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Arjan Bouter <abouter AT sourcemage.org>
  • To: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [SM-Discuss] New sections [Was: New archive and perl-cpan maintainer]
  • Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 08:17:42 +0100

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 09:25:48 +1300
Duane Malcolm <d.malcolm AT auckland.ac.nz> wrote:

> A better example is the section "gnome2-apps" store gnome applications
> however, the section name doesn't describe what the spell does, gedit is
> an editor, gthumb is a image viewer and gnumeric is a great spreadsheet,
> however someone new to linux cannot distingush this from the section
> name. A category flag will solve this. And the directory structure can
> become transparent to the user and becomes a storage method for maintainers.
>

>From what I understand, the gnome spells and libs which form the gnome
>desktop
very much depend on each other and have to be updated together for them to
keep
working. Correct me if I'm wrong but I guess splitting them into different
sections maintained by differrent gurus would complicate matters by having to
synchronize updates between sections...
Same would be the case for kde and xfce I guess.

I kind of like the way those sections are now, because one only has to browse
one section to build those desktops. Instead of hunting the grimoire for apps
which go with that particular environment.

Don't get me wrong, the layout of the grimoires does need some attention :)
Thanks for taking care of this guys.

Arjan

+=======
Source Mage GNU/Linux developer,
Linux so advanced, it may as well be magic.
http://www.sourcemage.org

Registered as user #310617 with the Linux Counter,
http://counter.li.org.

GnuPG Key 79D4B14E = 94AD 3FD1 E259 67ED 632E 2B06 CFBE 1154 79D4 B14E
+===