sm-discuss - RE: [SM-Discuss] License Choices

sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Public SourceMage Discussion List

  • From: Phil/CERisE/KG6MBQ <cerise AT littlegreenmen.armory.com>
  • To: Aaron Brice <abrice2 AT cox.net>
  • Cc: sm-discuss AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [SM-Discuss] License Choices
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jul 2002 23:44:55 -0700 (PDT)

Aaron Brice said:

> Test Results:
> cast -c -r mozilla: 47m 2.173s
> make (nice +10) in an ext3 filesystem: 42m 6.5s
>
> Both run with the same configure options and compiler optimizations.
>
> If you add the time it takes to download the source file and run
> configure to the ext3 time, it ends up being about the same amount of
> time.

I wonder if there isn't a more sophisticated speedup in XFS or
ReiserFS.

> Interesting, I had always assumed that tmpfs was there for speed
> reasons. But I still like the compiling in tmpfs system, and don't
> really see a benefit of getting rid of it..

I see a huge benefit. Especially since the time difference is
minimal. Not only are you removing a not-insignificant chunk of memory
from the equation, but you're making the setup a lot more accessible to
those running 386s....or Pentium-90s.
The beauty of Linux is the fact that it doesn't require a large
system. If there's any one thing that should be felt by those
developing a distribution, it's keeping things lean and mean.
There was an argument about minimal memory usage. I'll catch that
in a response to someone above this message.

-Phil/CERisE