permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Who is this?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Michael Pilarski <friendsofthetrees@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Who is this?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2013 06:21:33 -0800 (PST)

To clarify a few
things.

I have seen some
comments that there are no on-line pdcs.

There are on-line
permaculture design courses. They have been offered for quite a few years and
they are proliferating. The first online pdcs in the US were offered by Dan
Hemenway and there are Australian ones as well.
Marisha Auerbach and Andrew Millison, both well respected pdc teachers, have
recently started on-line pdc courses.

There have been many
attempts to set pdc course standards over the years, both internationally and
in the US (including by PI-USA).  I do not have a clear picture
of the current situation. Most likely Jude Hobbs has the current best overview
of the situation as she has been working with others to reinstitute the
Permaculture Institute of North America (PINA) as a pdc certifying body with
clear standards for offering pdc certification.

At the moment,
basically any person can do a training and call it a permaculture design
course. They can give a certificate based solely on their own cognizance with
no organizations backing them. This has led to a free-for-all situation and
the
pdcs offered in the US vary widely in their quality, although I believe most
of
them are credible.

Because of this real
(or perceived) vacuum it has opened the door for Vlad to try to set himself up
(through the name American Permaculture Association) as the certifying body
for
pdcs in the US.

This is ludicrous
since Vlad has a very poor reputation among many permaculturists in the US. I
don’t know anyone who supports him. On the other hand, Jude Hobbs and the
people
she is working with to set pdc standards, have very good reputations.

It will be very
interesting to see what goes down as this story plays out.

As Loren says, it is
past due time for a national gathering to discuss this.

Michael Pilarski

Northwest
Permaculture Convergence and Inland Northwest Permaculture Guild