permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Toward Financial Permaculture: New Farms in the OldSystem

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Toward Financial Permaculture: New Farms in the OldSystem
  • Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 23:13:24 -0800

If we must have a soundbite, then "reinvest the surplus" offers much more
direction, in a way that suggests beneficial connections, than "redistribute
surplus." Redistributing doesn't suggest focus or relationship. It could be
simply a random throwing around, or a concentration where it won't do much
good. Reinvestment suggests that it goes to support the systems that it came
from: people and earth. "Return" is pretty good, too.

Paul, to me it is the ethics that distinguishes permaculture from all the
other groovy design methods that humans have used to loot, bomb, torture, and
enslave. Is a prison with a green roof permaculture? No. So let's reverse the
question: if a hip design with guilds and sheetmulch harms people and the
earth, and concentrates wealth, can it be called permaculture? No. That's why
the ethics matter. It's that simple, and that obvious. Just as the principles
insure that we are designing a whole system, the ethics guide us to design a
moral system, something likely to do good and not harm. Without principles
and ethics, it's not permaculture. It's just a bunch of cool techniques, and
we use cool techniques to do shitty things all the time when we lack the
ethics to guide our actions. Maybe the ethics seem tangential to you because
you are an ethical person and naturally follow them. Try violating them and
see how well those designs work.

I think you are seeing so few examples of the ethics magically correcting
wrongs because most of the people attracted to permaculture are ethical.
Ethical work is the norm for us; our designs almost never do harm, and if
they do we fix it because we are ethical, and if our clients or employers
aren't ethical--and I know this--we quit. So from this highly skewed sample,
you can't conclude that the ethics don't matter. Permaculture is
whole-systems thinking, and we aren't thinking in whole systems until we
grasp the connection between behaving ethically and maintaining healthy
relations with all that's around us. If I pay crap wages to the workers on my
sexy "permaculture" farm, I am not using permaculture.

I could do a great design for Monsanto, and reduce their energy footprint,
have them develop new GMO strains in the greenest labs on earth, and put
hugelkultur GMO-corn guilds on every farm they control. But even though the
methods, the approach, and the cool synergies might be straight out of
Mollison, Holzer, or Holmgren, it's the ethics that would stop me or any
ethical permaculturist from doing it. It would never be permaculture, because
Monsanto is bankrupting people, poisoning the planet, and concentrating their
surplus. That design fails on the most important, basic level, that of
ethics. Only someone for whom the ethics were irrelevant could call that
permaculture. That's why they matter.

The methods of permaculture are not the point; that's not what makes it
permaculture. What makes it permaculture is how you use the methods--both as
a way of creating beneficial connections, and in a way that is consistent
with the ethics. Otherwise, permaculture is reduced to one more collection of
cool techniques that can be used to gut the planet and its people.

Toby
http://patternliteracy.com