permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Toward Financial Permaculture: New Farms in theOldSystem

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: paul wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Toward Financial Permaculture: New Farms in theOldSystem
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2012 00:17:14 -0700

It looks like you are commenting to yourself, but I'll assume you are
commenting to me.

> I just realized that you may be the exception to my rule of "absolute power
> corrupts absolutely";

I always like to draw a ling through "corrupts absolutely" and write
in "is kinda neat!" :)

> perhaps you are using your billions to save the earth

Well, I don't have billions. I am struggling to buy land.

> and its inhabitants, but leaving that aside. I would love it if you could
> give me one example of a billionaire who is using their "captured, channeled
> and stored" billions to create social justice for all and healing the planet
> while also hanging on to a billion or two for a rainy day.

Well, I don't know much about billionaires - not really my area of
study. I did look up that there are currently 1200 billionaires.
Wacky.

When I think of rich people and the 1%, I like to think about John
Stewart. I have no idea how much money he has, but surely it is in
the hundreds of millions space. And it seems like he is doing good
things. I cannot condemn the 1% that contains John Stewart.

Further, when you consider the world, then the line for 1% is
somewhere around $24,000. I am, therefore, part of the 1%. And I
don't condemn me either.

Mostly, one of the things that I like about permaculture the most is
that the people tend to focus on building good things rather than
shaking their fist at bad guys. And focusing on the whole 1% thing
seems to involve shaking a fist at some folks.

Am I a capitalist? Hellifiknow. I can't seem to even nail down what
that means anymore. But I did recently figure out that I have given
away more free permaculture information than all other free
permaculture information combined. Is there a word for that? Is it
"capitalist"? I've been going with "bonkers-about-permaculture" but
I'm open to other labels (for those that need labels).

--

Sign up for my daily-ish email, or my devious plots for world
domination: http://www.richsoil.com/email.jsp