permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Floating garden in a lake in Borma; farmers picking tomatoes. Aquaponics at its best.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Frances and David" <fdnokes@hotmail.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Floating garden in a lake in Borma; farmers picking tomatoes. Aquaponics at its best.
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 21:39:32 -0800

Interesting note about Peru...
Just realizing that there is a wonderful opening for pc documentarists, video
and/or photographic...
a pc guide to the... Cuba, Phillipines, Peru, etc.
a series? *
Food forest adaptations of the world?
Tromping around the countryside finding out what there is to learn from
everybody, a la Paul Wheaton.
Sounds like a neat occupation!
I used to work as a teacher-librarian, at the time of a revolution in non
fiction books for children (and adults) with richly illustrated books a la
Dorling Kindersley seizing the day and taking books to new heights of
communication. I guess that's where I am coming from here.
It's amazing what one can learn from an arm chair with the right combination
of text and photographs.
These things can be introductory in nature... or, operate on a number of
levels. Strong, plentiful photographs keep the basic/beginner levels
satisfied, and lead on to deeper study, while organizing thought. So many
wonderful books have been coming out in the permaculture, and I imagine many
more are yet to come!
What about a series for children and/or young adults in permaculture?

...and then there is the encyclopedic variety of publication! I picked up
Harvey Ussery's The Small-Scale Poultry Flock (with foreword by Joel Salatin)
from the library today, and was blown away by the extensive nature of its
offerings... and loved the title page quote:

... how we eat determines,
to a considerable etent,
how the world is used.

Wendell Berry

Cheers,
Frances

*(at least, I would love to read about permaculture in such a fashion. Is
there room for presenting information at a variety of levels? Allowing people
to put their toe in the water first? Sharing concepts, vocabulary with equal
ratio of photographs... building up the imagination and visual vocabulary
before going into depth... More pictures, and words used more as captions to
pictures...)