permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Floating garden in a lake in Borma; farmers picking tomatoes. Aquaponics at its best.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Floating garden in a lake in Borma; farmers picking tomatoes. Aquaponics at its best.
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 22:43:25 -0500

On 11/28/2012 9:12 PM, venaurafarm wrote:

People have relied on low tech (high tech when you consider the scale of
their endeavors, like the rice terraces) methods of producing food,
forage and fiber for thousands of years. Farmers growing rice in
mountainside terraces in the Phillipines use the off-season or fallow
time to grow fish in the flooded terraces. They leave tied up bundles of
rice straw in the ponds for fertilizer and marine organism breeding
ground. They harvest fish and gain soil fertility in the terraces.
I downloaded a huge collection of files and images on this remarkable
site. If I can find them I will post links to the original. All this is
on PBase somewhere. Some of the best collections of images and writing
on rural cultures of the world exist at this remarkable site.

Another, in Yunnan province, China
https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/permaculture/2010-March/036214.html
Really exquisite photography, and subject matter!

Hani Rice Terraces - Yunnan
Photo Gallery by Alister Benn & Juanli Sun at pbase.com
http://www.pbase.com/alibenn/hani_rice_terraces
Hani Rice Terraces - Yunnan
"In early January 2006 my wife and I spent a week in the small village
of Shengcun in the very south of Yunnan. The provincial town of Yuanyang
is the center of a fabulous area of rice terraces, built, no sculpted by
the local Hani people over many generations."
Sample:
http://www.pbase.com/alibenn/image/54915251
http://www.pbase.com/alibenn/image/54915252
http://www.pbase.com/alibenn/image/54915254
It is hard to even conceive of the scale of this farming system,
what an accomplishment!
http://www.pbase.com/alibenn/image/54915259

....:LL