permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Floating garden in a lake in Borma; farmers picking tomatoes. Aquaponics at its best.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Floating garden in a lake in Borma; farmers picking tomatoes. Aquaponics at its best.
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 23:19:03 -0500

On 11/28/2012 10:28 PM, Rob Crook wrote:
Lawrence,

We could do the same thing with our floating islands in Lake Jordan and Falls
Lake.

Lake Jordan would be an ideal location for an experiment in floating gardens. It is slightly warmer there than where I live and Chapel Hill too. It is at the beginning of the Coastal Plain in the lowland plain below the old Uwharrie mountain range along Farrington Rd. to the west running parallel to the road running north south. This whole area has a distinctly different ecology than west of there. I lived near there for a year in the 70's and previously in the sixties.

Are you talking synthetic mats or natural? Would reed or bamboo work, interlaced with other fibrous perennials?

In Peru they use reeds of some sort to weave mats that become part of a huge floating island where they garden, build their homes and live.

Rob Crook
Managing Partner Floating Island Southeast
300 Waterside DR
Carrboro, NC 27510

919-918-7788 home/office
919-260-5082 mobile