permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Floating garden in a lake in Borma; farmers picking tomatoes. Aquaponics at its best.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Cory Brennan <cory8570@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Floating garden in a lake in Borma; farmers picking tomatoes. Aquaponics at its best.
  • Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2012 06:39:21 -0800 (PST)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uru_people

Koreen Brennan

www.growpermaculture.com
www.facebook.com/growpermaculturenow
www.meetup.com/sustainable-urban-agriculture-coalition

________________________________
From: venaurafarm <venaurafarm@bellsouth.net>
To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 11:19 PM
Subject: Re: [permaculture] Floating garden in a lake in Borma; farmers

On 11/28/2012 10:28 PM, Rob Crook wrote:
> Lawrence,
>
> We could do the same thing with our floating islands in Lake Jordan and
> Falls Lake.

Lake Jordan would be an ideal location for an experiment in floating
gardens. It is slightly warmer there than where I live and Chapel Hill
too. It is at the beginning of the Coastal Plain in the lowland plain
below the old Uwharrie mountain range along Farrington Rd. to the west
running parallel to the road running north south. This whole area has a
distinctly different ecology than west of there. I lived near there for
a year in the 70's and previously in the sixties.

Are you talking synthetic mats or natural? Would reed or bamboo work,
interlaced with other fibrous perennials?

In Peru they use reeds of some sort to weave mats that become part of a
huge floating island where they garden, build their homes and live.

> Rob Crook
> Managing Partner Floating Island Southeast
> 300 Waterside DR
> Carrboro, NC 27510
>
> 919-918-7788 home/office
> 919-260-5082 mobile
>
> www.floatingislandse.com
> rcrook@floatingislandse.com
> facebook: Floating Island Southeast
> twitter: floatingisland2
> robocrook

Google message archive search:
>From cory8570@yahoo.com Fri Nov 30 10:01:07 2012
Y3hsH8FbFsUMjp3LbdUK3gD495QHdVSTCyGS9phkvxxGkmHb.rsH4Kr19Y.W
uGB_S8EOeqIestysKgDUZ7RTbVte3yzKjUksi_IBhDL4QHvYmGRHHNJiegQm
RDlOWahOa5SaBT9.FcTGBIqC2lAi_XWuzYjEkSgvS8XPEvmj5uSt0OSbzpmX
ir52_vImRnvFJXh6zryVkG_YR8m9hwMxqNkuamjChrzg096Gd0SCpGLfLt5J
QlbIsGsQVN7Kd6uUweP96dZ8iSgnLeUk_ROyXnvsRVGLkKCklPuBXjj.s_66
s3TF.OfBCMoeza7FxqUekZYTQ4f.tFgSJB1LI1FPpsZnyL1D1Wz8K7lAaTtG
nywv3u2bZPY5epqd6uDtRg1W.3TbbW_Fw8SMPedUqyg3ZUlOWpA9ChlXNyfd
OJ73y3dRa2K0IhhZrIqe0oqZKX_1Xlc8Lbfvew4lpA_fY.7ZT7Dg-

SSBrbm93IHNvbWVvbmUgd2hvIGlzIGRvaW5nIHZlcnRpY2FsIGZhcm1pbmcgaW4gSG9uZyBLb25nIGluIGEgMzcgc3RvcnkgYnVpbGRpbmcuIEhlIGlzIHVzaW5nIGxpZ2h0aW5nIHBvd2VyZWQgYnkgc29sYXIgYW5kIGRvaW5nIGludGVuc2l2ZSBoeWRyb3BvbmljcyB1c2luZyBhIGRldmljZSB3aGljaCBhbGlnbnMgcHJvdG9ucyBpbiBwbGFudHMgYW5kIGFsbGVnZWRseSBjcmVhdGVzIGRvdWJsZSBvciB0cmlwbGUgdGhlIGdyb3d0aCAobm8gY29tbWVudCBvbiBob3cgb3Igd2hldGhlciB0aGlzIGRldmljZSABMAEBAQE-